The Better Bus Act, 649
A bill is to improve the overall regional bus infrastructure, reduce car usage, reduce CO2 emissions, reduce traffic congestion, increase overall productivity, and increase commuter income.
PASSED 12 January 2023 with 21 Aye, 0 Nay, 3 Abstain.
Amended by the Transportation Expenditures Act, 654
Article 1 - Establishment of the National Motor Vehicle Service (NMVS)
- 1.1 - Forms the NMVS under the Ministry of Transportation.
- 1.2 - The NMVS will manage and maintain all state motor vehicles as well paying all state employees employed under it.
- 1.3 - The Ministry of Transportation shall be allocated 1,295 million florins quarterly to fund all activities of the NMVS.
Article 2 - Establishment of the Department of Bus Infrastructure (DBI)
- 2.1 - Forms the DBI under the Ministry of Transportation.
- 2.2 - The DBI oversees the construction and maintenance of all bus-dedicated infrastructure.
- 2.3 - The Ministry of Transportation shall be allocated 40 million florins quarterly to fund all activities of the DBI.
Article 3 - Projects and Programs of the NMVS and DBI
- 3.1 - The NMVS shall subsidize bus transport and municipal school buses. Every quarter 300 million florins shall be dedicated to subsidies for bus transport, bus procurement, salary payment, and maintaining those routes. Every quarter 100 million florins shall be dedicated to subsidies for municipal school buses for procurement, salary payment, and maintaining those routes.
- 3.2 - The DBI shall develop bus-dedicated infrastructure to better integrate buses into the existing road network. Every quarter 40 million florins shall be dedicated to the construction and maintenance of dedicated bus lanes.
Article 4 - Rules and Regulations
- 4.1 - The buses procured with the subsidies from the NMVS must be powered with a engine with the minimum fuel efficiency of an average diesel-electric engine or a more efficient alternative. They must have a maximum dimension 2.6 meters in width and 14 meters in length. All school buses must require seat belts to be installed in every seat. This regulation will be overseen by the NMVS.
- 4.2 - The dedicated bus lanes must be at least 36 meters in length and 3.4 meters in width. This regulation shall be overseen by the DBI.
Proposed by Erich Crysler, MGA, Independent.