The Constitution of the Sixth Republic
From The Kodiak Republic Wiki
Kodiak is a most serene and democratic Republic and as such is dedicated to the equal and dignified treatment of all who hold the office of citizen, and all laws and decrees to the contrary are void upon issuance. All laws and decrees contrary to this Constitution are void upon issuance, as this Constitution is the supreme Law of the land and takes precedence over all other forms of authority.
19 May 2012
Article I: Citizenship
- Citizenship is granted upon the fulfilment of the following conditions: (1) The applicant has a nation in The Kodiak Republic; (2) An election is not currently in progress; and (3) An Officer of the Republic with powers to grant citizenship approves the application.
- The following is not grounds for refusal of citizenship: (1) The applicant resides in multiple NS regions; and (2) The applicant has quarrel with a minority of citizens.
- Citizenship grants the privilege of: (1) Access to all public spaces of The Kodiak Republic; and (2) Participation in the General Assembly.
- All citizens are covered by rights both inherent and codified by the Kodiak Republic.
Article II: Bill of Rights
- All forum members shall have Freedom of Speech, in line with the forum ToS/ToU.
- All forum members shall have the right to due process of law.
- All forum members shall not be banned without a fair trial, unless in relation to Article VI.6, nor shall they be forced to testify against themselves.
- All forum members shall not be tried twice for the same crime.
- All forum members shall have the right to security in their property, including but not limited to, forum accounts, forum space, and original works.
- All forum members shall have the right to Freedom of religious belief and expression, in line with the forum ToS/ToU.
- Citizens shall have the right to vote in all elections and questions before the General Assembly unless barred by law pursuant to a criminal conviction.
- Citizens shall have the right to seek and hold public office unless forbidden by decree or law pursuant to a criminal conviction.
- Citizens shall have the right to lobby public office on issues one holds important.
- All forum members shall have the right to be treated with equal respect and dignity, and to not be discriminated against for any reason.
- All forum members shall be protected from any ex post facto laws or bills of attainder, which shall be prohibited from being passed by the General Assembly.
- All forum members shall have the right to a safe environment, both to themselves and their well-being.
- All forum members shall have the right to a fun environment.
Article III: The General Assembly
- The General Assembly shall consist of all citizens of the Kodiak Republic.
- The General Assembly has the power to pass laws, ratify treaties, repeal laws and treaties, determine citizenship if the application is in dispute and is lobbied as such, amend the constitution, dissolve the Executive Government and call elections.
- The President of the Kodiak Republic shall chair the General Assembly and act as Speaker. The Presidents role within the GA is to ensure the GA remains focused, mediate discussion, moderate the General Assembly, and open and close votes.
- The GA (and only the GA) may elect to amend this constitution with 70% majority.
- All laws and treaties shall be passed and ratified with a simple majority of 50%+1 vote.
- The GA shall call for a census of all citizens before every 2nd election.
- The GA shall also freeze all citizenship applications for the duration of an election cycle.
Article IV: Executive Government
- The executive government is led by the President of the Kodiak Republic.
- The executive government consists of the President, the Sheriff, and public officers appointed by the President or created by the General Assembly.
- The executive government shall serve at the pleasure of the General Assembly.
- The General Assembly may exercise the power of dissolution and dissolve the incumbent executive government.
- Dissolution of government must pass a public vote with 70% majority of all active citizens of the Republic.
Article V: Conditions and Powers of Office
- The President shall serve a term of two months and is elected by the citizens of the Kodiak Republic, with the candidate that is 'First-Past-The-Post' (FPTP) securing office.
- The President has the authority to manage a unitary executive branch as limited by this Constitution, make recommendations to the General :Assembly, and to propose treaties and other acts he/she deems advisable and proper.
- The President will also act as the Speaker of the General Assembly and will withhold their right to vote in the General Assembly unless required to break a tie.
- The President will speak to other regions in diplomatic occurrences if necessary, make diplomatic statements representative of the region as a whole, and make decisions on military matters should they occur.
- The Sheriff serves a term of two months and is elected by the citizens of the Kodiak Republic, with the candidate that is 'First-Past-The-Post' (FPTP) securing office.
- The Sheriff is responsible for advising citizens as to compliance with criminal law and prosecutes any offenders he/she believes require discipline.
- All prosecutions must be recorded in a public space designated by the General Assembly.
- The Sheriff will also assist Administrators of the forum in upholding the Terms of Service of the forum provider.
- The Sheriff will uphold any Kodiak law as passed by the General Assembly.
- The Sheriff will be provided the responsibilities associated with the forum position of Global Moderator.
- The Sheriff shall at all times adhere to the following orders of primacy: (1) The Forum ToS; (2) The Cosntitution; and (3) The laws of the Kodiak Republic.
- Public officers are appointed by the President of the Kodiak Republic.
- The title associated with public office is accorded by the President and is titled at the discretion of the President.
- The President may appoint as few or as many officers as deemed necessary to support the goals of the Kodiak Republic and the Presidency.
- Public officers shall have authority consistent with their commissions, as determined by the President, and shall serve at the pleasure of the President.
Article VI: The Legal System
- The legal system shall be organised as per the designs of the General Assembly.
- The legal system of the Kodiak Republic shall not conflict with the Constitution and the rights of the citizens of the Kodiak Republic.
- The purpose of a legal system shall always be to ensure the fun and safe experience of all citizens of the Kodiak Republic is not violated by any member of the forum or region.
- The legal system shall uphold the laws of the Kodiak Republic and violations of the laws of the Kodiak Republic are considered as per the laws of the Republic and rights granted in this Constitution.
- All citizens have the right to bring members to the established legal system should they feel it is warranted due to either a breach of their rights or an act is committed against them that is prevented by the laws of the Kodiak Republic.
- Members of the forum found to commit a crime harmful to the entire Republic and/or the board according to the forum ToS, and/or a violation of a real world crime, such as but not limited to: Porn and/or malicious spamming, Hacking, Abuse of Admin Power, Forum destruction, etc, shall be removed at the discretion of the Administration Team without trial.