Kodiak State Railway Act, 657
(Redirected from Kodiak State Railway Act, 654)
An Act to Establish the Kodiak State Railway Management Company.
PASSED on 8th of August 2023, with 21 Aye, 2 Nay, and 2 Abstaining.
Article 1: Establishment and Purpose
- 1.1 - The Kodiak State Railway Management Company (the Company) is established as a state-run and state-owned enterprise hereby responsible for managing railways, their maintenance, safety, and the construction of new railways within the boundaries of the Republic of Kodiak.
- 1.2 - The purpose of the Company is to provide affordable and efficient shipping services to the businesses of Kodiak, to provide affordable and efficient transportation to the citizens of Kodiak, to promote economic development throughout the republic, and to operate as a profitable enterprise.
- 1.3 - The Company shall operate under the trade name of Kodiak Railways.
Article 2: Powers and Responsibilities
- 2.1 - The Company shall have the power to:
- 2.1.1 - Establish and operate rail infrastructure and facilities throughout the republic;
- 2.1.2 - Provide shipping and transportation services to individuals, businesses, and government agencies;
- 2.1.3 - Set rates and fees for rail services, subject to the approval of the Minister for Revenue and Treasury;
- 2.1.4 - Enforce federal and republic railway regulations and laws; and
- 2.1.5 - Carry out any other duties necessary for the operation of the Company.
- 2.2 - The Company shall be responsible for:
- 2.2.1 - Ensuring the timely and accurate provision of railway services;
- 2.2.2 - Providing customer service and support to users of the Company's services;
- 2.2.3 - Maintaining accurate records of railway operations and finances;
- 2.2.4 - Developing and implementing policies and procedures for the operation of the Company;
- 2.2.5 - Coordinating with federal railway authorities and other relevant agencies as necessary; and
- 2.2.6 - Any other duties assigned by the Minister for Transportation.
Article 3: Funding and Budget
- 3.1 - The Company shall be funded through the Kodiak State Budget and shall be authorized to collect fees for railway services as set forth in Section 2.1.3.
- 3.2 - The Company shall submit an annual budget to the Minister for Revenue and Treasury for approval, which shall include detailed information on the Company's expenses, revenue, and projected needs.
- 3.3 - The Company shall be run as a competing enterprise alongside private rail transport companies in accordance with Section 1.2.
- 3.4 - The sum of ₣ 15,000 million is authorized for the cost of nationalizing existing private enterprises and acquiring any necessary railway infrastructure.
Article 4 - Personnel and Management
- 4.1 - The Company shall be managed by a Chief Executive Officer (CEO), who shall be appointed by the Minister for Transportation.
- 4.2 - The CEO shall be responsible for the overall management and operation of the Company, and shall have the power to appoint and remove employees as necessary.
- 4.3 - The CEO shall report to the Minister for Transportation on the activities and performance of the Company.
Article 5 - Independence and Political Neutrality
- 5.1 - The Kodiak State Railway Management Company shall operate with independence and political neutrality.
- 5.2 - The Executive Director and all employees of the Company shall carry out their duties without favoritism, discrimination or influence from any political party, individual or organization.
- 5.3 - The Company shall adhere to all applicable laws and regulations regarding political neutrality, and shall maintain accurate records of any contact with political parties, individuals or organizations.
- 5.4 - The Executive Director and all employees of the Company shall be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination, for any violation of the political neutrality requirements set forth in this article.
Article 6 - Regarding the Kodiak on Rails Act, 649
- 6.1 - Subordinates the existing National Railway Service to the Company.
- 6.2 - Instructs the Company to document and ensure proper maintenance rules and procedures for annual review by the Ministry of Transportation.
- 6.3 - Hereby repeals the Kodiak on Rails Act, 649.
Proposed by Chancellor W Magnus Ward, MGA, NUP.
With assistance from Chancellor Jason Corey, MGA, NUP.